School Direct Initial Teacher Training
Information for Schools
The School Direct model is a school-led teacher training route, where participating schools recruit and select their own trainees with the expectation that they will then go on to work within the school or Alliance of schools in which they were trained, although there is no absolute guarantee of employment. St Edward’s Teaching School provides a service to schools wishing to recruit trainees through two School Direct routes:
The School Direct (salaried) route is an employment based route into teaching for high quality graduates with three or more years’ career experience. The trainee is employed as an unqualified teacher by a school. The NCTL provides funding, which the school can use to subsidise the trainee’s salary and/or training.
The School Direct (non-salaried) Training option is for high calibre graduates who wish to gain a classic PGCE qualification. Trainees pay a tuition fee to the accredited teacher training provider and are eligible for bursaries of up to £20,000.
St. Edward’s Teaching School Alliance works in partnership with the University of East London to provide School Direct ITT in Newham and its neighbouring boroughs.
St Edward’s Teaching School Alliance provides the following services for schools wishing to offer School Direct places;
- Recruitment of School Direct trainees, with the support of senior leaders from participating schools
- Training for School Direct mentors
- A 15 day training programme for salaried School Direct trainees, designed to compliment the training delivered by the UEL. This programme provides opportunities for trainees to observe outstanding teaching and learning across a variety of settings and develop networks of local peer support
- Greater employment opportunities for trainees once qualified
- Administration including management of finances and funding
- A first point of contact for aspiring trainees
Schools interested in offering School Direct places for 2017-18 should contact email@example.com to register their interest.
Information for Applicants
Recruitment for 2017/18 is now open.
Applications must be made online through UCAS Teacher Training and applicants must enter either St Edward's Catholic Primary School, Green Street, Upton Park, London, E13 9AX (1EG) in the ‘Search for a training provider’ field. Successful trainees will be awarded Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) on the salaried route and a PGCE on the tuition fee route from our training provider, Partnership London SCITT.
For more information on the benefits of training to teach in St Edward’s Teaching Schools' Alliance please contact
Mr Ko Poon on 0208 472 4337 or on his email firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about the different routes available and for details on how to apply please visit the UCAS website here: